Business Builder & Renovator
I believe my greatest strength is the combination of experience I’ve gained over the past 30 years working in corporate, start-up, small business, and nonprofit environments. Each has its opportunities and challenges. I love diving into my well of tools, tactics, and temperaments to create results for your specific situation.
A New Mexico native, I grew up learning entrepreneurship up close and personal, since my parents were successful entrepreneurs. Then, after working my way through college, I learned my own lessons, in both large corporations and start-ups. After traveling extensively and working in Boston, London, Dallas, New York City, Philadelphia, Silicon Valley, and Austin, I came home to the Land of Enchantment in 2001.
Name it and I’ve probably done it. From finance to product development and management. In my corporate career, I held HQ staff and executive positions in several global technology companies, including Verizon, Unisys and NEC. I’ve led international teams of up to 75 people, managed third-party alliances, and held $30+million in P&L responsibility.
My last “real job” was Director of Alliance Management for a technology services start-up where I was responsible for negotiating and managing channel agreements with companies such as Hewlett-Packard and Cisco.
As a consultant, I’ve worked with a wide range of clients, from sole proprietor artisans to technology giants. (See list below.)
My results include:
- A successful IPO for a DVD firmware company;
- Clarification of marketing focus for a VSaaS entrepreneur;
- Personally identifying, qualifying and closing the second “name” customer for a health/medical software start-up;
- Two record-setting fundraisers for Albuquerque Habitat for Humanity.;
- Served as an advisor for the annual TVC (Technology Venture Corporation) symposium, working with a range of technology clients to translate ideas into fundable (and marketable) reality.
A former pre-med and social work major, I never got “do gooding” out of my system. I work with select nonprofit clients, such as The Loan Fund (NM’s largest and oldest community lender) and Habitat for Humanity, to leave the world a little better than I found it. I’m a past president of AIBA (Albuquerque Independent Business Alliance) and have served on numerous boards, including the YWCA of the Middle Rio Grande and the NM Entrepreneurs’ Association.
Greater Albuquerque Habitat for Humanity
The Loan Fund
New Mexico Community Capital
Solaria (Solar Energy)
Power Factors (Alternative Energy Development)
Additional Skills & Experience
- Director, Alliance Management, T-Manage, Inc. (Telemgmt, start-up, capital raise of $60M)
- Director of Worldwide Help Desk Services, Global Customer Service, Unisys
- Director of Marketing Neoware Systems (first thin client)
- Director of Market Planning, Bell Atlantic Business Systems Services
- Founding board member, development, Beloved Pet Care (2014)
- Albuquerque Women’s Civitan Club, 2014 project chair
- Duke City Civitan club – President, 2011
- Albuquerque Independent Business Alliance – past President
- YWCA Middle Rio Grande – Development Chair
- Greater Albuquerque Habitat for Humanity – Development
- NAWBO, Northern New Mexico – VP Corporate & Economic Development
- Association of Support Professionals (ASP)
- New Mexico Technology Council
- New Mexico Trusted Advisors (An invitation-only association of professionals who work with C-level clients)
What can I say? If you want it done on time – give it to Mary and get out of the way! And, she gives me direct and independent advice. Sometimes I don’t like to hear it, but she knows it’s part of her job!Leroy Pacheco
This is my second start-up working with Mary. She was the very first call I made once I decided to license the ProtoHIT technology from UNM. She’s one of the very rare people who can both think and produce. No excuses, just execution.Bruce Fryer