Jan 30, 2008
Is it this? (From their web site, “Why Countrywide?”) “Since our founding in 1969, our mission has been to help individuals and families achieve and preserve the dream of homeownership. Today, this cornerstone principle continues to guide and drive all of our business decisions. It has also produced a high-performance, high-integrity culture that’s unique to Countrywide and draws many of the best and brightest in the industry to work here.”
Or, is it: “That ginormous mortgage company that’s in a world of hurt....and the CEO has been shamed into forfeiting over $30M in severance pay.”
The second statement sure won’t fit on a bumper sticker, but it’s what I think....even as I’m dumping yet another snail mail promo from them in the trash.
The brand is what you do, what you say, how you treat your customers…and your employees. Paying a failed CEO $37M is ridiculous. Countrywide has cut about 11,000 employees from its payrolls since July. Gee, were those the “worst and dimmest?” Those folks are lucky if they got 30 days severance - and here’s hoping they can make their mortgage payments.
P.S. What you say to and about people should match what you do.
Contact Mary Schmidt Today!
- Do You Even Need Social Media in Your Biz Mix?
- Markets: Creating or Evolving? Disruptive or Incremental?
- You Mean You Don’t Care What I Had For Lunch?
- Do Good Do Well: The Power of Home
- The “So What” Test for Entrepreneurs
- Mindful Monday: “Be cheerful, live your life”
- A Patent Isn’t a (Commercial) Product.
- Brain Food
- Do Good. Do Well.
- Start-Up Sanity Checks
- Mindful Mondays
- Marketing Troubleshooting
- Pet Peeves
- Social Media Reality Checks
- Web Bytes