Aug 29, 2013
One of my (real-life 3-D) friends recently told me of a local who has decided to become a social media consultant since “there is no social media expertise in Albuquerque.” Ahem. Moving along…(The snarky zebra image is one I use in my social media workshops, where we talk about how to get results…and the fact you may not even need a Facebook page, ever.)
So, how did this local come by his expertise? Years of work in developing, implementing and managing integrated offline/online marketing
Aug 27, 2013
Citi, American Express, and CenturyLink - here’s lookin’ at you, kids.
1. Send out wave after wave of direct mail pieces, with the recipient’s name misspelled, to a long-time customer. Who now wonders why she can’t get the same extra, special deal as a new customer.
Bonus points if you also have the wrong company. (Hint: I’m not Mary Smith and it’s not been Mary Schmidt & Associates for over six years.)
Double bonus points if your marketing hyperbole doesn’t match your actual product
Aug 21, 2013
WRITERS ON WRITING; Easy on the Adverbs, Exclamation Points and Especially Hooptedoodle (Elmore Leonard, NYT, 2001)
In honor of Elmore Leonard, one of my favorite writers - here are his ten rules for fiction writing. However, they apply to any form of written communication - from business plans to marketing brochures to web copy.
1. Never open a book with weather.
How this applies to your business writing: Of course, you (probably) wouldn’t start your web copy with “It was a dark and
Aug 20, 2013
I routinely caution clients to avoid spreadsheet myopia. (“Hey! It looks great on paper!”) - since the real world has a nasty way to blowing even the most meticulously thought-out financials. Investors don’t invest. Customers don’t buy. The economy tanks. The government grant is cancelled. Etc. etc.
That said, entrepreneurs can’t just blithely ignore the numbers either. Delusional optimism (one of my clients coined that one) has its place. (After all, if entrepreneurs weren’t just a little
Aug 13, 2013
1. You sell a very specialized, complex product. (Just one example: Radiation-induced biomarkers. I’ve worked with a client who sells these. His customers are most definitely NOT on Facebook, looking for something to buy.)
2. You sell a very expensive B2B product or service with a long sales cycle. (C-level decision makers don’t lurk on Facebook to find ways to spends hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars.)
3. Your customers aren’t looking for you on Facebook. In fact, they’re
Aug 13, 2013
Of course, that was way back in 1911 when the company was incorporated as Computing- Tabulating- Recording Company (C-T-R). (International Business Machines was later. And the NYT, bless its grey heart, still puts in the periods.) Thomas J. Watson, Sr., often called the Foundering Father of IBM didn’t become General Manager of CTR until 1914.)
Of course, back in in the good ol’ days, entrepreneurs didn’t run up and down the world pitching Powerpoint to investors. Lots of bootstrapping.
Jul 18, 2013
I saw a headline recently, “Will Big Data Replace Marketing?” I nearly sprung a muscle with the eye roll. Certainly, data can be very useful…if it’s the right data ...and it’s correct. And, the analysts interpret it correctly. (Logic? Schmogic! Even Mr. Spock could find an ever-so logical reason to go gonzo when Kirk got himself into trouble again and needed rescuing again, at the risk of a world, hundreds of crew, or even the entire universe. We all make decisions based on emotion and then
Contact Mary Schmidt Today!
- Do Your Connections Have Value?
- Why Facebook Should’ve Hired Me (A Long Time Ago)
- The Two Reasons I’m a Comcast Customer (Again)
- Three Warning Signs of Silo Syndrome
- The One Sure-Fire, NO FAIL Success Method for Start-Ups!
- “My Balance Sheet Didn’t Balance…”
- Once More with Feeling: A Facebook Page IS NOT a Social Media Strategy.
- Brain Food
- Do Good. Do Well.
- Start-Up Sanity Checks
- Marketing Troubleshooting
- Pet Peeves
- Social Media Reality Checks
- Web Bytes