My HistoryA New Mexico native, I grew up learning entrepreneurship up close and personal, since my parents were successful entrepreneurs. Then, after working my way through college, I learned my own lessons, in both large corporations and start-ups. After traveling extensively and working in Boston, London, Dallas, New York City, Philadelphia, Silicon Valley, and Austin, I came home to the Land of Enchantment in 2001.
Name it and I've probably done it. From finance to product development and management. In my corporate career, I held HQ staff and executive positions in several global technology companies, including Verizon, Unisys and NEC. I've led international teams of up to 75 people, managed third-party alliances, and held $30+million in P&L responsibility. My last "real job" was Director of Alliance Management for a technology services start-up where I was responsible for negotiating and managing channel agreements with companies such as Hewlett-Packard and Cisco.
As a consultant, I've worked with a wide range of clients, from sole proprietor artisans to technology giants. Results include: A successful IPO for a DVD firmware company; clarification of marketing focus for a VSaaS entrepreneur; personally identifying, qualifying and closing the second "name" customer for a health/medical software start-up; two record-setting fundraisers for Albuquerque Habitat for Humanity...and much more. I've also served as an advisor for the annual TVC (Technology Venture Corporation) symposium, working with a range of technology clients to translate ideas into fundable (and marketable) reality.
A former pre-med and social work major, I never got “do gooding” out of my system. I work with select nonprofit clients, such as The Loan Fund (NM’s largest and oldest community lender) and Habitat for Humanity, to leave the world a little better than I found it. I’m a past president of AIBA (Albuquerque Independent Business Alliance) and have served on numerous boards, including the YWCA of the Middle Rio Grande and the NM Entrepreneurs’ Association.
Contact Mary Schmidt Today!
- 2001 – Present Mary Schmidt, Business Builder & Renovator
- From StartUps to Sustainability
Corporate Career Highlights
- Director, Alliance Management
T-Manage, Inc. (Telemgmt, start-up, capital raise of $60M)
- Director of Worldwide Help Desk Services
Global Customer Service, Unisys
- Director of Marketing Neoware Systems (first thin client)
- Director of Market Planning
Bell Atlantic Business Systems Services
Consulting Clients (1999 – Present)
Greater Albuquerque Habitat for Humanity
The Loan Fund
New Mexico Community Capital
Solaria (Solar Energy)
Power Factors (Alternative Energy Development)
- Pro-Bono Advisor - Annual TVC Equity Capital Symposium
- Founding board member, development, Beloved Pet Care (2014)
- 2014 project chair, Albuquerque Women's Civitan Club
- Duke City Civitan club - President, 2011
- Albuquerque Independent Business Alliance - past President
- YWCA Middle Rio Grande - Development Chair
- Greater Albuquerque Habitat for Humanity - Development
- NAWBO, Northern New Mexico - VP Corporate & Economic Development